Test Driven Development in Java
TDD in Java – Online Course
Do defects show up late in your development cycle? Do you know when:
- Your codebase changed?
- Stories aren’t done?
- New features are wrong?
Test Driven Development can help.
TDD uses a simple 3-step process called the “Red-Green-Refactor” pattern to ensure tests get written, code does what the tests expect, and duplication of code is reduced. When practiced regularly over time, this builds up a large suite of unit tests that ensure we know when code has been changed. It also helps us know if code continues to do what we originally expected.
While the practice is simple, the implementation may be complicated. This course will help you navigate the waters of software development in the vessel of TDD. We’ll dive into practices, techniques and solutions that lead to success with TDD and software delivery.
What you’ll learn:
- How to write unit tests
- Create tests before coding
- Testing for exceptions
- Using reflection
- Emergent (organic) design
- Code by intention
- Test doubles (mocks, stubs, and others)
- Popular java mocking frameworks (Mockito, JMockit, EasyMock, and others)
- Service Virtualization
- Mockists vs Classicists
- TDD & Continuous Integration
- Live sessions online
- Hands-on learning
- Homework assignments each class
- Reading prior to each class
- 1 Office hour per week – bring your work questions too!
- Test Automation Engineers
- 1+ years experience in Java OR
- Equivalent experience in another language
- Contact us for more info!
- 8 1-hour sessions over 4 weeks plus
- 1 office hour per week
- Twice a week – live, online sessions
- Recordings of class sessions available after each session
- Instructor: Paul Merrill
What others are saying:
“It was a truly wonderful experience.”
“I never thought of writing a failing test first and that has become a great help now.”
Paul Merrill will facilitate this course. He’s worked the better part of 2 decades as software engineer and test automation engineer using techniques like TDD to instill high levels of quality into software products. He has taught TDD to over one hundred software engineers over many years and offered this course for multiple corporate clients since 2011. Paul is a frequent speaker at many major Development and Testing conferences. Paul is Principle Software Engineer in Test and Founder of Beaufort Fairmont, LLC. He works with clients daily to speed up software delivery while reducing risk to companies and their customers with numerous techniques in addition to TDD.